Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Trials & Faith

We all have tough times in our lives, and these were some quotes that I used when I gave a talk in church last month. I think these are such good quotes because it makes us remember why we have trials and what we can gain from them.
  • Carlos C. Revillo: “Though we cannot escape difficulties, trials, challenges, and afflictions, living the gospel of Jesus Christ will give us strength and an assurance of promised blessings that can be obtained in no other way. When we allow the spirit of the adversary to be with us, it keeps us away from the joy and comfort and satisfaction that are guaranteed to the righteous. True happiness may be enjoyed only when we live worthy to have the Spirit of the Lord with us.”
  • Sherri Dew: “…the right question in the moment is never why, it is what….what am I to learn? what am I to do, what am I to understand?”
  • Orson F Whitney: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God.”
  • Robert D. Hales: “At these times only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement can bring us peace, hope, and understanding. Only faith that He suffered for our sakes will give us the strength to endure to the end. When we gain this faith, we experience a mighty change of heart and we become stronger.”
  • Gordon B. Hinckley: “We take one step at a time. In doing so we reach toward the unknown, but faith lights the way. If we will cultivate that faith, we shall never walk in darkness.”
  • Harold B. Lee: “Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you but on what happens inside of you. It is measured by the spirit with which you meet the problems of life.”

No comments: