Monday, February 16, 2009

Hospital Visit

On Friday I woke up and I just felt funny all day. It began with my calf cramping like crazy at 6:15 and then my stomach was crampy all day as well. I was talking to my mom on the phone that afternoon and told her about how I was feeling and she said that I should just call the doctor's office and tell them how I was feeling and ask for suggestions. I REALLY did not want to do this because I thought they would just think I was dumb for calling and I just don't like calling people I don't know in general. So I ended up finally calling them at 3 before I went to work again. I got off of work at 5 and thought that I wouldn't be getting a call back because the doctor's office closed at 4. Well, after laying around some I got a call at 7 from the doctor. I talked to her and told her what was going on and she said "I'd like you to come down to the hospital to be evaluated." I was not expecting that...I just was thinking she would say oh those sound like normal symptoms and everything is fine with you.

So I got off the phone and told Todd that we had to go to the hospital so I could be evaluated. That is when I started feeling really dumb. I just kept saying sorry to Todd because I felt like it was ruining our night and it was going to be a waste of time. We got to the hospital at 8:00 pm on Friday night and I thought we would be out of there by 9:00. When I was checking in some nurse looks at me and was like "Oh wow when are you due honey?" I was wearing a sweatshirt so I didn't look very big. She made me feel stupid by the tone she used with me (I am glad she wasn't my nurse). They hooked me up to a machine to monitor the babies heartbeat and see if I was having contractions, which I was. They gave me a shot to relax my uterus muscle to stop contracting, but it ended up making things worse. Then they gave me pills to stop the contractions which eventually helped. At 5:15 in the morning is finally when the doctor came to see me. She said that I was having "uterine irritability." She did not call it early labor because it wasn't making me dilate or anything, but I was having preterm contractions. After she left the nurse came in and gave me another shot, but this time it was to knock me out so that I could sleep. I slept for 3 hours and when I woke up I just wanted to leave. Todd and I kept calling the nurse to see if we could leave yet. They wanted to keep monitoring me and I was still having contractions, but since I wasn't noticing them they said that I would be able to leave. At about 10:00 am on Saturday we were able to go and we got home and I slept for awhile. It definitely took longer than an hour! I am supposed to "take it easy" and I have to go to the doctor this week for a follow-up to make sure everything is still fine. I am still feeling some contractions but I am just trying to rest and lay around as much as possible. I will post soon about Todd's and my weekend in Waikiki.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know it had to be scary. Keep relaxing. I love you, Aunt T.